This year I want to share my extreme passion for DIY with you guys. I’m all for little hacks that don’t break the bank and mean that your home is that little bit more unique. I’ve been a DIY-er for as long as I can remember (I did everything myself for my wedding – even floristry!) and I’ve got some real corkers to share with you.
I’m going to start with a really simple one to get you in the swing of things:
DIY Pretty Pastel Kitchen Utensils
What you’re going to need:
- Wooden kitchen utensils (mine were like, 90p from Tesco)
- Masking tape/washi tape
- A handy paintbrush (I’m using 8 Pro Arte Masterstroke)
- Heavy-based acrylic paint (or matte paint tester pots)
- A pencil pot
- Ruler (optional)
- Paint palette (optional)
What you need to do:
Measure how far up the handle you want your pretty colours to go
2. Tightly wind masking tape around the handle, where you want a neat, diagonal line to be.
3. Press down firmly on the tape, ensuring there are no gaps for the paint to get in
4. Grab your paintbrush and a paint palette if you need to mix colours like me. Otherwise open up your paint pot and get going!
5. Paint away! Paint in the same direction as the diagonal you’ve created with the masking tape on flat utensils, and staight down on round utensils.
6. To keep your surfaces squeaky-clean pop the utensils into a pen pot while they dry.
7. When dry, carefully unwind your masking tape.
Some super cheap but super pretty utensils ready to make meal time even more Instagrammable.
If you give this one a try, please share your creations in the comments!
Are there any particular DIYs you’d like to see in the future? Let me know in the comments